[SECC] Wose on first?

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 7 10:23:36 PDT 2010

I always copy what is sent but then I listen to the hams in Alabama get
grief when they send Zone 4
in the CQ WW or the hams in W9 who are not in zone 8 (ITU zone that is).
Why because too often the log checking program throws out a QSO if the zone
does not match the normal pattern.  This points to the need for human
intervention and double checking of logs.

I also hope that the "few" that now control contests do not trample on new
technology.  Sure DX spot nets and chat rooms are assistance and not
eligible for Single Operator status.  But the threats against remote control
are not consistent with many of the contestants living in restricted areas
and can afford to control a competitive station some distance away.  Years
ago W6YY used UHF to control his contest station from the Los Angeles area
so why the buzz now.  Another technology is the CW skimmer.  This is within
the station itself and unless you hook up to the remote outside network I
don't see the problem.  A SSB version that IDs the signals is coming so
watch out !  Unlike tracking IP addresses how can you tell if a skimmer is
in use?

Lets get back to "contesting is fun."

No more whose on first.  My two cents worth from someone who has won most
major contests
over a 53 year span.

Dave K4JRB