[SECC] Recap WPX "Assisted" Experience Last weekend w/Skimmer

W5JR - Mike w5jr.lists at att.net
Sun Jun 6 13:12:02 PDT 2010

I can attest to Ralph's assessment. I've been using Mack's skimmer
server for a while even for non-contest operation. There are two items
included in the skimmer spot of use, one is the speed of the sender
and second is the relative signal to the noise floor at Mack's place.
Since I live only a couple of miles away, the latter is very helpful
in evaluating my likely success of working a particular station via
QRP. If the signal is just a few dB out of the noise, I can wait until
it builds. If it is very strong, I can usually work them first call on
a clear band. Also, it allows me to see the difference between the
antenna on the skimmer receiver and what I'm using at my house. They
usually track but a few times his hears high angle signals much better
than mine.

One trick I do is to bring up two instances of the VE7CC client. One
connected to the VE7CC cluster server and the other connected to the
skimmer. I usually have my N1MM pointed to the skimmer session to
populate the band map but keep an eye on the cluster session for those
spots of stations not needing to send CQ (what the skimmer triggers on).

One thing I've found is that N1MM does not appear to "spot" your own
call to the band map through the Telnet session. If you are a trustee
of a club or maybe your household has more than one licensee, you can
use an alternate call for the Telnet session and "see" your own CQ
spots.

The skimmer is a great tool to augment your operating experience
whether contesting (assisted), working/looking for DX, or testing a
new antenna.

Mike / W5JR