[SECC] Minutes - 2010 annual Meeting

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Wed Jun 9 17:52:48 PDT 2010

Below please find the minutes of the annual meeting of the SECC, held
this past Saturday at the Atlanta hamfest.
Thanks to Ralph, K1ZZI, who acted as secretary due to my unavoidably
being out of town, and congratulations to Tommy, W4BQF who is our
incoming SECC president.

73, Hal N4GG
Secretary

The 2010 SECC meeting was held at the Atlanta Ham Fest June 5, 2010

The meeting was called to order by President NA4BW at 11:00 AM.

16 Members were in attendance: W4GK, W4MJA, WB4MAK, N4YT, W4BQF, NA4BW,
K1ZZI, W4BW, WB4SQ, AK4I, W5JR, N4HH, NM2L, KT4MM, N4LR, W2WG.

Introduction:

NA4BW welcomed everyone and asked each member to do an introduction and
tell what their favorite contests are and why they joined the SECC.

Old Business:

K1ZZI read the minutes from the 2009 meeting.

Officers Reports:

Presidents report:  NA4BW talked about the SECC shirts and the change in
the SECC logo which was posted on the SECC website.  The 2010 GQP was a
big success with 158 active counties.  NA4BW expressed his appreciation
to our webmaster Chaz, W4GKF for the great job he has done with our new
SECC website.  Club participation was a disappointment in Sweepstakes
and we expect to do a better job this year.

K1ZZI gave the following officer reports:

VP report:  K1ZZI assisted in taking SECC shirt orders and getting them
distributed.  He organized and put together NAQP CW and SSB teams to
promote competition and participation.  He posts weekly SECC club-only
scores.

Secretary's report:  N4GG and our webmaster W4GKF worked together to
link and streamline the new member application process.  The off-line
and on-line rosters are now linked.  All applicants are welcomed
directly and via the reflector.  The roster update and welcome letter is
typically completed within 24 hours.

Treasurer:  K4BAI posts weekly area-wide scores and also announces the
upcoming contests on the SECC reflector.

GQP - Though not present, Mike NE4S was recognized for his excellent
performance in organizing and promoting the GQP.  NA4BW presented a
plaque in appreciation for Mike's continued outstanding contribution.
The huge success of the GQP has made it a national favorite.  Mike works
tirelessly in this endeavor and he was given a unanimous roaring
applause.  The plaque Brian presented is sponsored jointly by the SECC
and the SEDXC

NA4BW discussed a note from K3AN about his ideas and concerns he had to
improve participation.  K3AN suggested more focus and reward for the
casual contester.  Perhaps a series of awards for accumulative points
collected throughout the year.   Awards could be bronze, silver, gold,
platinum.  NA4BW opened up the floor for ideas for what the club can do
to increase participation.  WB4MAK suggested a novice category for
people with less than 3 years contesting experience.  Since the SECC
does not collect dues Mack offered to sponsor an annual plaque.  NA4BW
and others agreed they would be willing to contribute a plaque as well
if that's what it takes to increase participation.  The possibility of
plaque sponsorship will be explored.

New Business:

The nominating committee presented the following slate of officers:
President W4BQF, VP K1ZZI, Secretary N4GG, Treasurer K4BAI.  NA4BW
opened the floor for other nominations and there were none.  There was a
motion to approve the slate of officers and they were unanimously
accepted.  NA4BW congratulated our new President Tom Alderman, W4BQF.
Tom was asked to speak briefly on his vision for the club.  Tom's top
priority is participation and he wants input and ideas from the club.
Tom would like to see more communications on the reflector.  He will
support all contest modes.

WB4SQ suggested that prior to major contests that tips and hints for
beginners and casual contesters be posted.  Contest strategy, best time
to stay on / off times etc.

WB4MAK offered to run special interest group presentations like he did
for the North Fulton Radio Club.  This could be over several weekends
and geared more for the beginner and casual contester.  Examples were
modules on "how to contest", using N1MM and Writelog etc.  This would
require several laptops setup to let people operate the software.
Students would be lead through the necessary steps in detail by sitting
down side by side and coaching them.  His only requirement is that
veteran contesters volunteer to assist him in taking questions,
interaction and coaching.  Mack also volunteered to set up Webinars for
contesting learning modules if we so desire.

W4BW suggested we put basic contesting help topics together.  What do we
do "before" the contest to get ready?  What we do "after" the contest?
What is 3830?  Posting scores to the reflector, ARRL, CQ, 3830.  What is
it and why do we do it etc.  Veteran contesters take these things for
granted.  It was suggested we be mindful of casual contesters and the
needs of beginners as these are the people we want to mentor and help
get active in the club to post scores.

NA4BW spoke of the upcoming November Sweepstakes.  Contest clubs TCG,
ACG and SECC have thrown down the gauntlet to compete and score big this
year.  Brian encouraged our new President, W4BQF, to make this a
priority going forward.  NA4BW was clear he wants the gavel back and he
and the officers of the club all look forward to a good turnout for SS
this November.

Huntsville Ham Fest - ACG will be making the Contester of the Year
selection this year.  SECC's K4BAI was awarded Contester of the Year
last year in Huntsville.  NA4BW encouraged people to attend the
Huntsville Ham Fest as well as the TCG SEDCO Ham Fest.

NA4BW expressed his appreciation for the opportunity to be SECC
President.  Brian was humbled by this experience and thanked everyone.
VP K1ZZI for his support;  Secretary N4GG for his support and the great
job he has done including the many improvements to the new membership
welcoming process;  K4BAI for his support and contributions posting club
scores and listing upcoming contest information on the reflector.  The
members all responded with applause in thanks for Brian's service as
SECC President.

AK4I commented that he is a casual contester and hears much about the
importance of contributing scores for the SECC.  He would like to see
how the club benefits overall and see club results.  Individual results
are published weekly on the reflector but there is never any information
on SECC results in relation to other clubs.

W4BQF talked about the benefits of N1MM Logger software and offered to
be a club resource to help others.

The 50th anniversary of the GQP next year is April 9th and 10th.  NA4BW
announced the SECC and SEDXC are getting together early this year to
plan a banner 50th GQP next year.

The date for our next annual SECC meeting is June 4th, 2011

Closing:  Motion to adjourn the meeting @ 12:03 PM approved.

Submitted by K1ZZI, VP, SECC