[SECC] What kind of gear (antennas, radio, amp, etc) do you use on 6 meters?

Rich Arland k7sz at live.com
Tue Jun 15 20:39:51 PDT 2010

I am doing this against my better judgement.......

Unfortunately my FT-726 only has the 2M and 70CMs modules in it, soooooo, I was relegated to using my FT-817 barefoot (a MASSIVE 5W output) on 6M into a Halo up about 15-20 ft on a mast behind the house.

Now, before you all start laughing.....(or stop, whichever) I managed 18 Qs on 6M using this set up including several contacts in mid-Texas, Oklahoma and Florida. I heard W6XO/5, Bill Tynan (Mr. AMSAT) who was putting a whopping solid S-9 signal into here from his Texas QTH but I couldn't get thru the pile up to work him. Ditto with an XE3 on EL06, the tip of northeast Mexico. He was a steady S-8 to 9 for almost an hour! Great condx. Next year I will have at least 100W and a steerable Yagi up for 6M!

There really is something serious going on with 6M!!

VY 73 es GUD DX!

Rich Arland, K7SZ
Bent Dipole Ranch
Dacula, GA

Cogito Ergo CQ! (I Think Therefore I Ham!)
(With apologies to Rene Descartes, 1596 to 1650)