[SECC] Goofy NAQP CW Question...

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sat May 22 05:29:03 PDT 2010

On Jan 8, 2010, at 3:50 PM, John Laney wrote:

> It my opinion, if you are known as a contester at all, it is probably
> best to use your own name.  You just confuse people by using something
> different.  Granted, AA4LR, Bill, uses George (his middle name, I
> think), but he has established that for some time and I think W4ATL,
> Sherman, uses something other than Sherman because Sherman is unusual
> and pretty long.

Sorry to respond to an old message.

My given name is George William Coleman. But I go by Bill.

In the NAQP Phone in 2001, it was just after the inauguration of George Bush. I figured that "Bill" was out and "George" was in, so I used "George".

I found that "George in Georgia" got through way better than "Bill in Georgia" and it doesn't seem to confuse anyone. Since then I use "BILL GA" in CW and RTTY, and "George in Georgia" in Phone. Both are my name, and it works pretty well.

Use whatever name seems to work well. "Ed" is probably the shortest recognizable name in CW, and many folks use that.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901