[SECC] Thursday Night Fox Hunt

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Wed Nov 10 08:51:41 PST 2010

I will be one of the foxes in the QRP fox hunt Thursday night
(0200-0330Z Friday).  I will be using a FT1000MP at 5W as measured by a
WM-2 watt meter.  Antennas will be a 40m half wave dipole at 50' that
favors the west and an 88' center fed zepp at 55' that favors the
north/northeast.  I will switch between the two antennas frequently.
Will probably start on the zepp to try to get the closer in stations to
the north in case the skip goes longer later.  However, remember that it
often shortens up toward the end of the hunt period. Don't ever give up.
  I proved that was wise when I finally worked AC7A on 80M at 0326Z in
last night's fox hunt.

I will start out listening up and will indicate that after every CQ and
QRZ by sending "U1" at the end.  When there are no longer callers that I
can hear, I will go simplex and will drop off the "U1."  I intend to
send the call of the station I am answering with the TU message so you
can be sure who it was that I just logged.  I will be giving "real"
signal reports so you can tell who I am hearing better or worse than you
if you listen for the RST I send.

I hope to give out many pelts tomorrow night.  All are invited to call
at 5W or less.  I will be hiding on 40 meters somewhere between 7030 and
7050.  Exchange is:  RST + SPC + Name + Power.  The other fox will be
Karl, K5DI, in NM.  Work only the two foxes.  All information can be
found from the QRP Fox Hunt Home Page.

73,

John, K4BAI.