[SECC] Complaint on WAG and Swiss Contests

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 18 15:18:42 PDT 2010

I sent a complaint last year to the Swiss Contest
and am sending one to the WAG contest along with a check log.  They allow CW
and mixed categories but not a single band or SSB Only.

The Swiss Contest Chairman told me they only received a few SSB only entries
(I looked  at the 2008 results and there were 69 entries).  I got Bud AA3B
to second my complaint.  I just do not understand the reasoning behind no
SSB only.  I understand Single Band makes everything more complicated.

The trend to marginalize SSB Contesting has been around for a long time.
Since my TIA in 1998 I just can't enjoy CW any longer plus staying on CW can
cause visual seizures for me.  I have an excuse for not operating CW and I
dislike RTTY so what excuse do those who oppose SSB have???  They can stay
on the other modes or turn off the rig.

I would put out a message on CQ-Contest but the moderator usually filters me
out on such matters.

Sorry for the bandwidth but this matters to me!

73 Dave K4JRB