[SECC] Leo W0GFQ SK

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 15 18:15:48 PDT 2011

Thanks to W6IZT for the report.  Building and buying gear in the late 1950's
meant weariing out the WRL Catalog.  Besides WRL, Globe, and Galaxy Leo also
started Hy-Gain under the Globe Master antenna name in the 1950's.  He sold
Galaxy to RCA The beams to Hy-Gain, and the Globe name to RME Electro-Voice

I just finished sending K4JRB, K5MDX, K5LYC (My Dad) QSLs to Leo's 100th
Birthday.

I remember the Mississippi SM (SCM then), W5GG, leaving Mississippi to go to
work for Leo at WRL in about 1957 or 8 as I was just licensed.
He became W0GG and worked for Leo for a number of years. One of my elmers,
W5LWS traded for new gera every 6 months and Leo wouyld calkl him.  In late
1957 he had a Globe King 500B, 20A, and NC-303 all from WRL.  On 20 meter AM
he worked Fred, CN8FV one night.  I was delighted to work Fred in early 1959
with my own call.  He even called me during the ARRL DX.  The 500B was
impressive to a mere Novice.

Leo was a real businessman who ran a great business from one location for
the most part.

RIP Leo.

73 Dave K4JRB