[SECC] [Contest] Announcement, Worked All Europe CW DX Contest This Weekend

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Fri Aug 12 07:07:23 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Hal Kennedy <halken at comcast.net> wrote:

> Great tips John!

I agree!

I usually try to hold off on QTCs until about half way through.  I also
> watch condx.  If signals are nice and clear, like on 20/15/10 I use up
> all the QTCs I can there.

Yes.

The QTCs are the greatest feature of this contest - it's what makes WAE
unique and fun.  I admit the first time or two I operated it I didn't send
QTCs because I was intimidated, but as John says, it's a great way to
improve your CW skills.  In fact, back in 1977, it was the WAE that took me
from a marginal 18wpm to a solid 20+, enabling me to pass the Extra exam.

Like Hal says, use as many QTCs as you can when the signals are good.  Also
if rates are slow.  If S&P, I would wait until a snappy op asked QTC?  Then,
you can crank the speed up a bit and rattle the QTCs off - much harder to do
that if signals are weak.

But the thing is, sending the max number of QTCs you can is important to
achieving a good score in this contest.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is a QRP category, but I doubt I
could get on this weekend anyway due to the continuing painting and
moving...but the light is at the end of the tunnel!

But this is a fantastic contest!