[SECC] Yamaha CM-500 Headphones: My Story

scottstraw at mindspring.com scottstraw at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 13 08:11:16 PDT 2011

My personal quest for "contesting" headsets for my Kenwood TS-450S lead me to the Yamaha CM-500 unit as well. I located a set at the Guitar Center in Marietta.
When I arrived, the said item could not be located. Eventually, the store manager produced two CM-500s, but they were w/o box and "papers". He offered them at half-price so I bought them both.
Only when I got home did I discover that they lacked "the battery box" (I didn't know to ask for it at the store, mea culpa).
After a conversation with my favorite oracle and guru, Mack W4AX, I bought an 8-pin connector and some 10K resistors at Radio Shack.  I wired the mic power line with the resistor into the connector to tap the 8V pin on the radio mic input (Thanks Kenwood!).  It works well and I have gotten great reports on my audio.  As an aside, I also wired up a 1/4" jack to the connector and bought a generic sustain piano for an electronic keyboard to use as a foot switch. My first major effort with this set up will be NAQP SSB.  If you hear me, I'd appreciate signal reports (after the event of course).

Scott, KB4KBS

Postscript: I've discovered a chap in New England who makes my type interface (but much prettier)and sells them on e-Bay. He can be Googled easily enough.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile