[SECC] Fw: [FCG] “THE BIGGEST DAMN STUD ON THE AIR! ”

Mark Luhrman w4svo at att.net
Tue Feb 22 11:50:26 PST 2011

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Lu Romero <lromero at ij.net>
To: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x at embarqmail.com>; Contest Group Reflector Florida
<FCG at KKN.net>; cq contest <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Tue, February 22, 2011 11:28:06 AM
Subject: Re: [FCG] “THE BIGGEST DAMN STUD ON THE AIR! ”

Competition for competition's sake is what I like about
contesting.  Competing with myself to be more efficient and
to wring out maximum performance from the technical cards Im
dealt at any station I operate is my reason to compete.

I think it makes me a better operator, and I think it makes
my station more efficient.

He does have a point about the egos, but then there are egos
everywhere in any endeavor.

There was a comment posted by K1VR after the blog that I
completely agree with.

Contesting is like auto racing or sailboat racing.  The
serious car and sailboat racers, in their drive to win, help
develop technology that "trickles down" (gee how I hate that
term!) to everyone.  Better suspensions, engine technology,
tire composition and transmission parts, among others, are
the result of car racing.

Better sail material, sheets and ropes, winches, and hull
shape, among others, are the result in sailboat racing.

Better radios, computer programs, antenna switching gear and
antenna configurations, among others, are the result of
contesting.

We all benefit from the technology, even if we dont contest.

Competition improves the breed.

-lu-