[SECC] FT1000MP vs K3

Jeffrey Clarke ku8e at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 10 16:10:21 PST 2011

  I wonder if anyone has played with a Elecraft K3 and Yaesu FT-1000MP side
by side ? I was toying with the idea of splurging and getting a K3 but a
friend of mine in Ohio ,who owns both radios, compared them side by side and
liked the MP better. He said the MP had a quieter receiver and had better
audio on SSB then a K3.  He ended  selling his K3. I also seem to remember
Don, W4OC, bringing a K3 on one of the Bonaire trips a few years ago and he
ended up selling his in favor of the FT1000MP.

I have never had a chance to play with a K3.  Everyone seems to rave about
them. Are they really worth another $1000 over what you can buy a FT1000MP
for, which is a proven good contest radio? Any thoughts on which you liked
better?

Jeff KU8E