[SECC] FT1000MP vs K3

Tad Williamson ironbutttad at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 07:46:12 PST 2011

Jeff, I can't speak about the 1000MP, but did have an FT-2000 and my K3 side-by-side for a few days.
I thought the K3 was much quieter and had a superior receiver.
I had a noise problem on 20, 17 and 15 mostly with the 2000.  It was man-made and hard as we tried, we could never track it down.  Sometimes it was hardly there and other times it was s8-s9.  When I finished my K3, I A-B switched between the 2000 and the K3.  The noise was there for the 3-4 nights I was testing and was s5-s6 on the 2000 and almost non-existent on the K3.  I found some weak CW signals with the K3 that I couldn't hear on the 2000.
Overall, I've been thoroughly pleased with my K3.  A few other plusses to mention:
--If you have to do any repair, the K3 is modular and easier to repair.
--Elecraft's tech support is excellent
--You can run in CW-to-Digital mode and you don't need a PC to run RTTY or PSK.
--Firmware updates are a piece of cake.
--I run portable a few times a year and the K3 is nice and compact.
--I also have the P3 Panadapter and it is nice for viewing the band

My radio, my opinions---please no flames.  Hope that helps, Jeff
73, Tad, WF4W

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

The Grateful Dead

Truckin'