[SECC] Contest rule change

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 19:50:00 PDT 2011

This really seems to me to be the case of the haves vs. the have nots.
At the risk of stating the obvious, I'll explain why I have the viewpoint I
do. I am more idealistic than most.

It is reasonably clear that the NE has the advantage over the SE since
more stations are in Europe than in South America.  Europe is by far
the prized directions due to number of operators alone.  (I'm discounting
JA's for this discussion). Yes, the SE has the advantage toward South
America, but that doesn't help very much.

Why do people, and big super stations, contest? Many say to be #1.
What pleasure is there in being #1 if you've such an advantage at the
beginning? How can you get a lot of satisfaction in that? If you have a
sports car and you're sitting next to someone in a Prius and the light
turns green, are you pleased with yourself when you beat them off
the line? Wouldn't you expect to and if your happy you did do it, what
gives you satisfaction in being able to do it?

I never bother to compare my contest results to anyone in the NE.
It's a waste of time.  There isn't any way I could beat them if our stations
and operating skills were the same.  Some have said you need to get
a better station than the 1's and 2's to compete.  There's a heck of a
lot of money and talent up there. It's virtually impossible to believe you
could make a station so much bettter than theirs that you could compete.

And travel to foreign lands just to be number 1?  Ok, good for you. You've
found a way to be number 1.  You had to go get yourself a Ferrari to be
number 1.

What if the playing field was more leveled?  What if there was a way to
make the stations more even, kind of like the HF world championship sets
up?  Wouldn't that make it more of a "contest" than a "where do you live"
event?

My vote is for distance based -- if a fairly equitable scoring system could
be found.  It would better show the quality of the operators and stations
than
what we currently have. I have emailed and let my voice be heard.

Kevan
N4XL