[SECC] ARRL DX

Jeff, W4DD w4dd at arrl.net
Sat Jul 2 13:27:20 PDT 2011

There have been a number of excellent emails discussing the ARRL DX Contest.
I was interested to learn from WW4LL's email that the W0's are about the
same distance from EU as us.

I'd like to add a few other thoughts.  Since this is called a DX contest, we
probably need to define what we mean by DX.  It could mean distance, or it
can also mean countries.  The contest perhaps should be called the ARRL
Country Contest as I have thought DX means distance.

Seems odd a Caribbean station should get the same number of points as an EU
station for working the US.  Goes back to the definition of DX.

Scoring would be more complicated, but in this age of computers, that's not
a problem.  It would have been a problem when the contest was originally
launched.

This discussion shouldn't be about stations or operators, it should be about
is the scoring fair.  If DX is defined as countries, then it's probably
fair, but a true all band DX contest would be nice.  We already have CQWW
which is countries.

As to if we should change to a new scoring system, I'm on the fence about
that one.  I would put my vote behind whatever the majority of W5's, W0's,
and W9's say.  If they think it is fair to them, then I am OK with that.

Jeff, W4DD