[SECC] Claimed Score IARU HF Contest K4BAI as W4AN at W8JI

John T. Laney III k4bai at att.net
Mon Jul 11 07:57:25 PDT 2011

                     IARU HF World Championship

Call: W4AN
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: W8JI

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Barnesville, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

   160:    34     0      5        7
    80:   152     7     16       25
    40:   624    41     26       34
    20:   622   137     28       37
    15:   207    48     21       31
    10:    44     2      7        7
-------------------------------------
Total:  1683   235    103      141  Total Score = 1,443,504

Many thanks to Tom, W8JI, for allowing me to use his station again this year.
Score is down about 10% from last year, I think due to poorer daytime
conditions.  Tom has added a second set of monobanders for 10-15-20 and a
4-square for 40 since last year and the station played very well.  The receive
antenna system allowed me to hear well on 160-80-40 despite very high QRN
(which was noticeable on all bands but 10M) from nearby thunderstorms.  Very
fortunately, I didn't have to shut down due to those.  Band conditions seemed
much better on the low bands this year.  10M was open to Europe for the really
big signals, but was generally poor with little activity, especially on phone.
Actually, 10 phone was alive with non-contest stations for much of the day.  20M
was open through the night.  40M stayed open into Europe for a long time after
daylight there.  JA signals were almost non-existent except on 40 CW and the
band was much poorer to them this year than last.  I did lose use of the higher
monobanders for a few hours during the night when I got the rotator stuck on
south.  Tom fixed that when he got up in the morning and chastized me for not
having waked him in the wee hours to fix it then.  A fun contest.  Thanks for
all the QSOs.  I will again be using the SECC memorial club call W4AN again
next month in NAQP CW from WW4LL's QTH.  Hope to work you all again then.

I hope everyone worked Erik, N5WR, from PJ4C in the contest.  I plan to return
to the K2NG/PJ4G rental house with KU8E and K1XM for CQ WW CW in November as
PJ4A.  73, John, K4BAI.

Posted using 3830 Score Submittal Forms at:http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/