[SECC] arrl dx? contest

Bill Wilson kj4ex at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 19:03:22 PDT 2011

Greetings All,

I've been reading most of the posts on the CAC subject, and feel they should leave the ARRL DX contests like they are.  Many I work, just to hand out points.  Others, I make an effort in, set MY goals, MY operating style, the thrill of pulling out that long-haul Q.

And while I'm thinking about it, CW isn't fair to run on keyboards, they should be prohibited, IMO. Talk about leveling the field.

Leveling the field ?  Where's the challenge in that?

Lots of money on equipment, and monster stations; choices people make.

Sponsors ?  Almost sounds like commercialization, we wouldn't want that now would we?

I too have been at this a long time, and have reached a point where I only run 100 watts in all my ops.  All homebrew beams and wires, if I don't like one, I build another and replace it.  It IS a HOBBY.  Have fun!  Good Grief...

Sponsors, I don't have any, I worked for what I have.  Rewards, getting that unexpected certificate in the mail that said you placed first in your category, or section, or whatever.

I don't need wallpaper, I don't need to make a name for myself amongst my peers.  If I'm recognized, so be it.  If not, I have plenty of better things to do than bask in the glory of a first place piece of paper from a contest I participated in.  Beat my chest.  Yea, I have a couple myself, worked for them too.

Oh the agonizing, of the amp sitting here gathering dust, as I work the world with 100 watts, in my Hobby time.  Someday I may actually fire it up.  See if it works.

Seems like Florida would be a good location for a DX station.  Want a challenge, move to San Antonio and give it a go.

Bill - KJ4EX
A Ham Radio Operator