[SECC] ARRL DX Contest and changes - some thoughts

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Thu Jun 23 10:56:18 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Dennis McAlpine
<dbmcalpine at earthlink.net>wrote:

> ** ** **
>
> Certainly there is one certainty if the rules are changed, i.e. the old
> scores (or the new ones) will no longer mean anything compared to the new
> scores.  Is that what we want?

It's not what *I* would want, but apparently that would just be considered
collateral damage to the folks that want to radically change the scoring.

  Why not simply start a new contest using a distance based scoring and see
> what happens and leave the ARRL DX Test as is?.

That certainly makes the most sense, but I think the opposing viewpoint
would have to do with there already being a sizable number of major contests
and no room for another one or how there would be little activity for a
contest starting from scratch or without a major sponsor or something along
those lines,  I would certainly welcome a new contest using distance-based
scoring - AFAIK there may even be one out there I don't know about.  Maybe
the Boring ARC (N6TR) should take on sponsorship of an HF version of the
Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge...they seem to have had good results
getting that contest going and are already geared up for that type scoring.

I've thought about it a good bit over the past few days and can see no real
benefit to changing the scoring.

73 de Lee
--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA