[SECC] ARRL Proposals

Mark Luhrman w4svo at att.net
Wed Jun 29 21:09:49 PDT 2011

I have read quite a few comments on this subject, and here is what I think.
First of all I have been operating contests since 1963. Mostly doing single band
entries. WHY? Because I have a better chance of being competitive. There are
always less entries in these categories. I also know that  I can never compete
with the stations that are closer to Europe . You do not have to be very smart
to figure this out! I am also a DXER, so I know that at certain times of the
year that certain sections of the country can almost have as good as propagation
on these bands as does the NE stations, but this is not all the time. It would
be nice to be able to compete with the stations that are closer to Europe. Ask
any DXER who usually gets the first openings to Europe, the ones that get
Daylight first. The carribean, SA and the NE states, they are farther east. Does
not take a very smart person to figure this out. So it would be nice to be able
to give the rest of the country a mathematical solution to this, that would make
up this handicap. Whether this will happen is yet to be seen.  Now my answer to
some of the comments made.  1) Only about 5% of the SE Contest club compete in
these contests! Then why are you in a contest club to begin with? This is one
reason I usually do not join Ham Clubs, because most do not add anything of
value to the club, and most are not very interested in making any changes. Very
SAD! Of course changes disrupt our way of life. Also very Sad! Also that same
person recomments on what W2UP said that NQ4I does not get very good operators.
That K3LR gets the best. Well this doesn't take a very smart person to figure
this out either. If you lived in the North and had a chance to operate at one of
the most expensive staions that has been put together . Anyone of us would like
to operate from that station! I also feel that I am a very good contestor
myself, so I  kinda of resent this. If you were to put some of the operators
from Rick's station at K3LR, KC1XX or W3LPL and  I would say that most would be
as good as operators they have. I also feel that  this person  that is making
these remarks is somewhat bias, especially since he is not being ask to operate
at NQ4I. 2) Another SECC member said that we need to watch what we are doing in
asking our representitive to vote on this. I do not think Rick was asking anyone
to vote on this, he was just saying that if you want to see some changes, then
make your voice be heard. Of course this is the US way, just sit back an keep
buying from China and give all of our dreams away. If people would stand up for
what they have a passion in, then maybe things would be different. Also by the
way I remember when this person that made this comment, was The 160 meter
contest director for CQ Magazine. It took years before you could even get your
certificate for winning. I wrote him many times , where my certificate was, and
never got a reply. Finally when Andy N2NT took over this never happened again!!
3) Another SECC member wrote That when people move next to an airport that they
start complaining. Well there are a lot of stupid people in the world. And you
do not have to be too smart to figure this out either! He also says that NQ4I
knew that when he built his station that it would not be competitive! It has
done pretty well, considering how far away from Europe he is. He also built this
station to give guys that do not have very good stations, that are good
contestors a place to operate. Rick very seldom ever operates himself!  W8JI has
done pretty well from Georgia also. He has a lot of land though. It doesn't take
a smart person to figure out that in order to be competitive with the guys up
north that you have to build much better stations and have larger stacks to make
up this difference in distance.  I am a contestor and I like to have fun,
compete and once in awhile be in the top 5 in my category. Just think for a
moment, what if they would give you  a handicap for distance and you would have
a chance to be in the top 5, maybe even win the contest, and you would not have
to compete in a single band category to do this. Wouldn't  that give you a
little more inspiration! If people take away our passion, enthusiasm, and
inspiration what is left then? Something to think about? Mark W4SVO