[SECC] Need advice on car laptop DC-DC converter

John Getz johngetz24 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 10:59:04 PDT 2011

I discovered why I can't hear many of the weak stations that are calling me when I
am operating mobile in the state QSO parties.  The 12-18 volt DC converter that
powers the Toshiba laptop is creating RF hash on all the bands.  It even makes
noise when it's running separately outside the car.  I've tried several types of
filtering but no luck.  If I run on the laptop battery, the bands are nice and quiet.
However that battery is only good for about 90 minutes.  Does anyone have a
recommendation of a car converter that will make 18-19VDC and not make RF
noise?

As an aside, I have two identical 117VAC to 19VDC converters.  One only puts
out a slight bit of noise and the other one is quiet.  Next weekend I'll be operating
portable in the ALQP so I can power the laptop off the generator with the quiet
one.  I plan to operate in 5 or 6 counties.  It should be a fun contest with about a
dozen mobiles out and about.  If you have time, please work all of us.

John Getz, AD8J
24 Stony Ridge
Asheville, NC  28804-1854
828-424-7145