[SECC] Contest Expectations

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Mon Nov 21 09:11:57 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 8:09 AM, <scottstraw at mindspring.com> wrote:

> 1. What is your personal expectation for a final Average-QSOs-Per-Hour in
> a contest from your station and is it lower for P/T versus F/T?

Part time rate should almost always exceed a full time rate.

2. What is your definition of the phrase "half-decent LP S&P rate"?

For SS CW?  60+/hour early in the contest, that would be an outstanding
rate late in the contest - assuming a full 24 hour operation.  If you come
on and operate the last hour only of SS you could possibly have a 75 - 100
hour.

3. Is there a "factor" that you reduce your expectations by when operating
> LP versus HP?

No.  But you could take the average top 10 HP score and compare it with the
average top 10 LP score and come up with something like that easy enough.

4. Is there a "factor" that you multiply your expectations by when using
> towers/beams versus dipole wires in trees?

No.  You never know what the other guy is running antenna-wise.  SS can be
won with simple wire antennas.

5. Is it possible to make station-to-station comparisons to posted scores
> using these (or other, better) types of analytical formulas?

No because you don't know all the variables.

Bottom line: I want to know how my puny P/T 38K with a G5RV compares to
> other stations with some degree of objectivity.

In SS CW I made almost 77k points using 5 watts and primarily a 135'
doublet at 45' and a 40m half-wave sloper.  I think I reported 19 hours of
operation.

I think an average of 40/hr over 24 hours LP in SS is pretty decent - it's
in the top-20 neighborhood.  If only operating 12 hours, you would expect
to average considerably over 40/hour.

I think the only way you can compare is to look at other stations with
operating times similar to yours.  Then compare station info if you've got
that available.

HTH.

73 de Lee
--