[SECC] Who's problem is it?

Scott Straw scottstraw at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 29 04:24:33 PST 2011

Wise Sages,

One thing that I noticed during CQWW this past weekend is a worrisome number of times that my call was repeated back to be as KB4KBH, not the correct KB4KBS.  At 30-35WPM-plus, that fourth dit somehow mysteriously seemed to appear in my transmission.  I know it wasn't op error at my end; N1MM did ALL of my sending at that speed (a transmission rate dictated by the CQ-ing station, not by me). My SOP was to send my call until recognized, then to send a signal report, my CQ zone, and then my call once again (599 {EXCH} * for those who understand N1MM macros). If I heard them recognize me wrong, I would patiently send my complete call again until they sent it correctly.  Alas, I fear I may have missed one or two.

So, for the small fraction of stations that heard the phantom extra pip and logged my call wrong, I suppose I'll get a NIL, right? Is that just a hazard of waging battle?  Other than to become a global icon like K4BAI, is there a better way to ensure that I'm logged with all six characters faithfully recorded?

KB4KBS

Scott Straw, KB4KBS
Roswell, Georgia USA