[SECC] Who's problem is it?

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Tue Nov 29 05:18:29 PST 2011

Thought I would jump in.  First Scott, as you know, KB4KBS is a handicap
in itself.  Do whatever it takes to earn and get a 1X2, 2X2 or 2X1.
While getting vanity calls in the 4th district is hard - if you can, try
for one that does not end in a dit.  My latest problem is the dit on the
end of my last "G" is getting missed by some skimmers and reporting me
as N4GM.  I am starting to dislike skimmers a lot...

I'm with Lee.  In your situation, never send an exchange until the guy
comes back with your correct call.  Keep at it as long as it takes.  The
fact that you come back with only your call and no exchange tells the
other guy he has it wrong.

I'm also with Lee on speed.  I can copy calls and exchanges at 50 WPM,
but I don't.  I have my speed settings in 2 WPM increments, some of the
best contesters set up in thee WPM increments.  I spent 30% of my time
at 31 WPM, probably 60% of my time at 29 WPM, and the last 10% hand
keying with a keyer I have in parallel with the computer at speeds down
to 15 WPM.  Under really tough conditions I was at 15 WPM on 160 at
times.  Also, there was tremendous backscatter and multipath on 10 and
15 at times (sounds like echos).  There you may need to slow down a lot
to get your call through.

When I can tell the other guy is really struggling with the front or
back of my call, I will send that part alone several times:  N4GG, GG,
GG, GG.  That usually does the trick and I will probably cut the speed
down when I have to do that.

If you were logged wrong on the other end, you get the Q and the other
guy gets a busted call which includes loss of the Q for him plus a
penalty for him.  You are fine.

Lee has had the problem most of us have with domestic Qs.  The other guy
may not log you.  This is poor sportsmanship and a long story unto
itself.

My best advice - slow down.

73,
Hal N4GG