[SECC] Fw: [FCG] long QST/ARRL rant

Mark Luhrman w4svo at att.net
Tue Oct 4 10:22:49 PDT 2011

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud at hotmail.com>
To: Florida ContestGroup <fcg at kkn.net>
Sent: Tue, October 4, 2011 6:19:59 AM
Subject: [FCG] long QST/ARRL rant

CRITIQUING QST
By Charly Harpole, K4VUD

          QST, “Devoted Entirely to Amateur Radio,” has been a major feature of
ham radio for longer than even oldsters can remember.  It has been the one
constant in the changing world of ham radio and the prominent representative of
ARRL all along.  As a member since 1957, I have received and, at least scanned
(by eye, not computer), EVERY issue since then.  I am also a professional
editor, and I have detected unpleasant changes in QST over the last five or more
years.  To voice my displeasure about our beloved magazine, I will critique a
recent issue as a sample of trends these days.

          July 2011 QST opens with another insipid editorial that states the
obvious in way too many words.  Cutting edge has not applied to QST editorials
for years.  And there are so many topics to blast into to help improve ham
radio, but none come up here.

The first article (page 33f) describes making open wire feeders.  If you look at
Figure 7 on page 35, after you stop laughing, you realize how pitifully few hams
will stretch a jig some “miles” (on into the horizon in the photo) to make this
marginally useful wire.  The article is a nice ego trip for the author, but it
is of abysmal use to other hams.

Join that wild construction article to the next one, page 39f.  First off, the
antenna will be used by, maybe a dozen hams, and second those will need a full
machine shop to build it.  Oh, yes, lots of hams have that in the closet of
their condo!  This is another gee wiz entertainment—not construction—article for
reading, marveling at, and promptly forgetting.

That dubious entry is followed by one extolling kit building, a noble idea
virtually slipped out of existence in ham radio, sadly.  There is a nice list of
kit suppliers, but let’s think of the readers—many of whom are too busy to get
on the air much less build a kit and most of the others have old hands no longer
steady enough to solder.

Then, page 53 helps us replace a bulb in a wattmeter, really crucial stuff to
keep us on the air!  And it takes 12 precious column inches!

Bless W1ZR’s heart—he is given the thankless task of thinking up outrageously
basic questions the answers to which are easily on the Net or in common sense.
Then he quotes poor Dan Sook (page 56) who wants hams to speak clearly about
frequency to label a band or to use the metric system of calling 7.1 MHz the
forty meter band.  The folks confused about that issue are not hams!

Page 57 tells us about a shortwave receiver kit which ten or twelve readers may
try with their children.  Publish the number of these kits sold, and I may
change my mind, but I don’t think so.

Then, page 58 tells us, over two pages, how to detect RF.  I don’t know about
you, but when a guy answers my CQ, I know he has detected my RF.

The article, “After the 73s” rubs me the wrong way right away with the use of
the plural of 73 (page 63).  Yes it is grammatically correct here, but it could
reinforce the irritating use of the plural when guys sign off a QSO.  In that
use, 73 is ALREADY plural (“best regardS”).  But the article is really about
doing QSLing, a topic I deal with often to answer the requests for HS0ZCW cards
of the Thai station I operate.  What is wrong here?

Well, with space at a premium, QST still opens articles, like this one, with
“happy talk” in the vain attempt to personalize the writing.  In this case, two
and a half column inches are wasted in happy talk and definitions so basic as to
make one shake a head in disbelief.  What else?

Paragraph 5:  use an oversize return envelop larger than that stated here
because many cards are larger.  And, have your call sign printed in CLEAR
lettering and on BOTH sides of the card.  Make crystal clear if the card is for
a QSO or an SWL request.

Paragraph 11:  ALWAYS include an sae when sending to DX stations and include one
or two “green stamps,”  US Dollars, because regardless of what QST says (and
later corrects in paragraph 13), a huge percentage of hams outside America find
a way to use Dollars.

Paragraph 12:  IRCs are a monster waste of time and money virtually everywhere.
Even American Post Offices have to read the manual to be able to cash them in,
and in other countries, IRCs are met with laughter and/or a firm “no.”  Just do
not use IRCs.

Paragraph 14:  I get a percentage of incoming QSL mail that is wrapped up like
Fort Knox.  Get real, there is NO WAY of avoiding theft from mail.  Wrapping the
green stamps in carbon paper, tin foil, or other stuff simply “fattens up” the
envelop which, to the skilled fingers of thieves, sets off the alarm and opening
is a sure result.  Perhaps sending a card by registered mail or other such
method of “signature required” does help, but ultimately there is literally
NOTHING a sender can do to prevent mail theft.  It is up to the DX station to
work with his local post office to get relief.  Maybe UPS or FedEx may also work
in some places.  Putting the card and money firmly down inside the sae is common
and just an irritant to the op trying to open hundreds of envelopes.  It does
not stop thieves.

Finally, let my old heart settle down and speak of electronic QSLs.  Flat out, I
hate this development.  Digital data does not really exist due to the fact that
it can be changed in any way desired.  An e-QSL is just an irritant I have to
say “no” to in my incoming email.  And, settle my heart, too, when I have tried
valiantly to use the weird acronym LoTW system.  I have e-banked for years with
great success and security, but LoTW baffles me for the five times I have tried
to use it.  Maybe it works for others but is just too much trouble to use, for
me.

Three articles on emergency communication follow.  However, let’s face it folks,
ham radio has stopped being useful for emergency com in America.  Oh, yes, there
is the occasional report of a disabled vehicle on the highway or even a tornado
spotted, but for a large measure of disasters, hams on the scene are widely
recognized by professionals as unnecessary trouble.  Due to lack of national
leadership which could reorganize hams into an effective supporting force, many
emergencies have disorganized individual hams showing up with an HT and running
around giving mistaken reports to other hams.  Yes, hams in the USA still have a
role, but what is practiced now is often just “in the way.”

TEN pages (74-83) are reports of recent contests.  However, most of these column
inches are taken up by narrations of highlights which repeat the “top scorers”
lists.  These narrations could have been written once at the last sun spot peak
and reprinted all years afterward, so meaninglessly repetitive are they!
Instead of printing the total list of all people’s logs, we get the tired
repetition of the “leader boards” as the same big gun stations stroke each
other.  The embarrassment of only valorizing top scorers displays QST’s “good
old boy” network, not incentives for little pistols to enter contests.  AND,
scores on line ARE NOT THE SAME!

Thankfully Bernie, W3UR, injects some reason and directly useful information in
his column which stresses LISTENING to work DX.  His straight talk (and muted
outrage for bad operating) is so refreshing in this otherwise bland magazine.

If there were ever a GOOD use of Internet listings it would be the Special
Events and the Convention/Hamfest pages.  There is no reason for history to have
four pages listing events that happen once.  Put this stuff on a searchable Web
page, for gosh sakes!

Then, there are the advertisements!  Thank goodness for them because it is in
these lavishly illustrated pages where I can dream and plan for station
upgrades.  I learned more basic electronics by reading ads than anywhere else
because I wanted to spend my money wisely and dug in to try to find out what
signal-to-noise figures meant in the comparison of receivers prior to purchase.

Overall, the recent years of QST have been vastly outshined by CQ, the latter of
which has many more relevant articles, curtly written, and often cutting edge.
I READ CQ and I skim QST these days because the July issue is typical, not the
exception.  I am puzzled at who QST editors think are their core readers.  I
ask, is it a policy to offer so many beginner articles in the vain hope of
bringing in more hams?  Is ARRL via QST trying to impress radio regulators?  Are
potential QST authors put off by some unknown factor that keeps good articles
from coming in?  Why are the product reviews bland and confusing?  What has been
going on and why?

The extensive market penetration of QST gives it a sure leadership position to
carry ARRL policies and ideals.  Sadly, if QST is an indicator of these, and I
think it is, ARRL remains in bad shape ( from Harry’s days on down to today).
Apparently no one with cautioning or correcting words are heard, really listened
to, in Newington.  Some suspect a Northeastern barrier to such that runs along
the border of New York.  Today, there may be hope that a new broom sweeping
clean has entered in the hands of a lady, but no proof has emerged yet.

In sum, I think QST is now written mostly for children, and that there are no
children readers!  Yes, young teens are our hobby’s core recruiting age, but the
grey hair in Newington appears to be so out of touch with the interests and
motivations of this age that, in America, anyone with a license under 50 is
celebrated as the oddity he/she is.  Thankfully, other countries have young
hams, maybe because there are still places that value education and self
improvement.  Listen to that contest that exchanges ages in the contacts—the B
prefixes seem to be in low 30s, the W ones in the high 60s.  QST can address
this and other matters effectively, but is now failing the hobby.

Charles Harpole k4vud at hotmail.com
DXCluster - telnet to k4fcg.dyndns.org