[SECC] California QSO party

John T. Laney III k4bai at att.net
Wed Sep 7 19:20:53 PDT 2011

There is a club combined score combination in the CAL QSO Party. SECC
has come in second to TCG or CCO several times.  Maybe we can win it
this year.  The top individual scorers usually get bottles of wine from
one of the California vineyards owned by hams.

The CA stations will calll CQ CQP on CW.

For stations outside CA, once you have worked every CA station you can
by S&P, I recommend something like:  "CQ CA CQ CAL DE N4XL N4XL/SC."
You will get some answers from CA stations who prefer to S&P themselves
and may be excited about a SC QSO.  You will also be called by others
who don't "get it" at first or who also want a SC QSO.  I give those
guys a quick "TNX 599 GA," log them in my general logging log and move
on. Some contest loggers will allow you to log non CA stations and
assign zero points so you then have a complete log.  You could take the
non-CA stations out of your Cabrillo log afterward before submitting to
the sponsor.  But, I just keep two logs in contest all the time so I can
answer QSLs from any of these errant callers and keep them as friends
for times when I will need their contest QSOs.

73, John, K4BAI.