[SECC] GaQP AA4LR Single OpMixed LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sun Apr 15 18:52:51 PDT 2012

                   Georgia QSO Party

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single OpMixed LP
QTH: Floyd
Operating Time (hrs): 14

 160:      0        0
  80:     53       11
  40:    215      232
  20:    115        4
  15:     16        5
  10:      0        0
   6:      0        0
------------------------
Total:    399      252  CW-Dig Mults = 44  Ph Mults = 32  Total Score = 79,648

Antennas:
R7000 at 3m (40m-10m)
80/40m dipole at 3m (80m, 40m) - Wormburner

Equipment:
Kenwood TS-430S w/ AT-250 running 100 watts

Comments:

Just goes to show you can have a lot of fun, and make a lot of Qs with very simple equipment. This contest was from the micro-shack, just outside of Rome, GA in Floyd county.

The TS430S is over 26 years old, but it still put in yeoman service. It definitely does not have the QRM-fighting power of the Elecraft K2. There were a number of times that someone moved in close to my running frequency and I had to slide away, because I just couldn't hear.

I was amazed how effectively I could run on CW on both 20 and 40m. However, I never could get anything going on 20m phone. 40m was the big-time money band, though, with over 2/3 of the contacts taking place on that band. While I started off using the R7000 on 40m, I found the wormburner dipole more effective overall. It really need to be pushed much higher. I can't wait to see how it works way up in the trees.

Several people spotted me -- thanks very much for that. I could tell a few times when it happened with a flurry of callers.

Did have one odd incident on Sunday around 2210z. I had been running near 7042 for nearly a half an hour, when suddenly I was blasted with high-speed, strung-together CW that started off OKNOMORE.... and was laced with profanity. I knew I had a problem when I moved half a kHz and a minute later he followed me. So, I switched to phone for 10 minutes then came back to CW in a different part of the band. I hope this lid didn't bother anyone else.

This is certainly my best GQP score ever, with more phone Qs alone than ever before.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901