[SECC] W4AU Claimed Score NAQP CW - SECC Team #1

John T. Laney III k4bai at att.net
Sun Jan 15 09:40:53 PST 2012

Here is the NAQP score for John, W4AU, who is on our SECC#1 team.  73,
John.

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W4AU
Operator(s): W4AU
Station: W4AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

   160:   90    34
    80:  210    43
    40:  221    44
    20:  196    43
    15:   67    17
    10:   50    18
-------------------
Total:  834   199  Total Score = 168,468

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: SECC #1

Radio 1: K3 & P3
Radio 2: Orion
Antennas: KT-34A @ 50', 40M extended double Zepp @ 45' (used as 2nd
antenna on 20
and 10), 80M dipole @50'

Comments:
I basically operated straight through from the start with about 30
minutes off
for dinner @2300Z. My strategy was to get to bed as early as possible!
Maybe
this is not the best way to operate this contest? Comments solicited...

I could have used a better start on the high bands. My beam is showing
high SWR on
15 and a bit on 20, so maybe it is time for some maintenance. In
retrospect, I think
I should have spent more time on 15 to get more mults, but 20 was hot!
Anyway, I
couldn't get good rates going until about 2100Z, but from there on every
hour was
above 90 Q's. I worked the second radio pretty hard most of the time,
and it looks
like I had about 110 second radio contacts. Actually, I didn't make too
many
blunders, but I still have to improve my techniques...

It is great to be part of a team and it helps to keep my butt in the chair!
It was nice to work many SECC team members during the contest, K4BAI and
K1ZZI
on 4 bands. Missed only HI and RI for a WAS.

tnx fer the Q's es 73 - John, W4AU