[SECC] [Yaesu] FT1000 going wokie

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 12:10:53 PDT 2012

Thanks Frank.  I appreciate the detailed advice.

Most want me to start signal tracing from the antenna
and use the tried and true method to pinpoint the issue.
I guess I was really looking for a short cut and that
by talking of the effect the menu selection had on the
problem it might key someone in to the cause.

I think the signal path is just fine and I am going to
spend unnecessary time tracing stages.  Why?
Because when I select one of three menu items (8-6,
8-9, or 9-1) the signal comes in loud and clear.  There
is no S/N problem.  There is no weak stage to repair.
Everything is just fine. So what is it in the circuitry
that is different when one of those menu items is selected?
Somewhere the logic/programming and signal paths
cross.  That's the section where my problem most
likely lies.  One person suggested the local oscillator
board because that is what 8-6, 8-9, and 9-0 all affect.
Sounded good to me.  But why do the menu items cause
the signal to work when one of them is selected, but not
work when they are not selected?  That's the part I'm not
smart enough to figure out.

No one yet seems to know why the menu item thing
is doing what it is so guess I'll just start signal tracing
and see if anything pops out. Maybe something will
show up visually that I missed earlier as I trace signals.
I doubt it though.  This acted like someone had
suggested, a gradual breakdown of junctions due to
an earlier near lightening strike.

Thanks again Frank.

Kevan
N4XL