[SECC] WPX CW K4AMA SOAB LP

email K4AMA email2012 at k4ama.com
Sun May 27 17:29:08 PDT 2012

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K4AMA
Operator(s): K4AMA
Station: K4AMA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
  160:    0
   80:    1
   40:   24
   20:  227
   15:  157
   10:   21
------------

I participate in contest in the single Op category, but it appears I never really operate alone. Got a friend who keeps showing up at or around contest time... actually starting to anticipate his arrival as contest day gets here... his name is Murphy, he's not really much help.. but he always pops in for a visit.

First event with a new K3... yep, you can imagine the fubar getting the first few hours running smoothly.. Murphy helped, of course. Had the family help me put up the hex beam Friday afternoon (yep, waited until the last min again) - I only put it up for contests on a fiberglass push up mast. Friday night was fine, then Murphy's half brother Tropical Storm Beryl shows up? Amazing how much guy ropes still allow movement... Hex beam rocking and rolling was freek'n out the kids... well, me too. Wasn't that windy, but windy enough...So, back down came the hex... was breezy all weekend, so the hex was left at around 12 ft off the deck... still worked surprisingly well...

Found a few spotty openings on 10, 15 was working well for a while Sat and Sun.

Still have a long way to go and much progress yet to make, but this one was a personal best. Learn something every time and hopefully take a few forward steps, despite the help :)

Already a big fan of the K3.. night and day... Hex Beam on the deck and ODF dipole.