[SECC] question on email - spamarrest

Lee Hiers lee.hiers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 07:11:30 EDT 2013

Another problem with Spamarrest and similar "services" is that some of us
refuse to deal with the BS.  Oftentimes I will respond with an answer to a
question to help a poster in a group and am greeted by a confirmation email
from such a "service". At that point, the domain (often Spamarrest) gets
reported for spam to Gmail. I'm not going through extra steps when I'm
already going out of my way to help someone.

I'm sure there are others who feel the same as I do about this.  I can't
tell you how many times I've had people opt-in to a mailing list and at the
next distribution I receive a BS confirmation email.  Those folks get
immediately unsubscribed.

So, use one of those "services" if you wish, but realize it isn't perfect.

I don't do anything in particular to control/hide my email address, other
than to use different email addresses for different situations.  At least I
can often tell who is selling my email address. The other thing I do is
make regular reports to the FTC of emails I have received in violation of
the CanSpam act....I doubt it does any good, other than give me a warm
fuzzy feeling.  In any event, I find the amount of spam I receive to be
quite manageable.

73 de Lee, AA4GA