[SECC] question on email - spamarrest

Kt4zb at aol.com Kt4zb at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 09:23:08 EDT 2013

Probably shouldn't say anything as my email was just hacked 2 days  ago.
However, it was the first time in the 15 years or so I've had the  account.  I
have no idea what happened.  I found the stuff on my  secondary computer
that I don't use very much; although it is connected to the  internet.

I don't necessarily recommend AOL; but, it was my first email account and
the spam filter works well.  There is a report spam button that actually
seems to work; the system learns and what junk I receive usually goes
straight to spam.  That is only about 3-5 a day.  It gets confused by  the [QSL]
reflector some, but, that's not much of a problem.

What I did notice from my being "hacked" is that much of the spam sent from
 my account was tagged by AOL with the "X-SPAM-FLAG: YES" which resulted in
the  email being bounced by MDaemon.  So lot's of the folks in my address
book  did not receive the spam.  There were five different subjects generated
so  I am trying to determine which ones were tagged and not.  Stuff
originated  from Fr Guiana.

I agree with all that I don't like the "send request" feature that  some
use to filter their email.  I prepare the newsletter the for local  radio club
and since I use a list, I'll get some bounces that create extra  work.

Best - Jere, KT4ZB

In a message dated 4/23/2013 7:59:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,