[SECC] PRESS RELEASE - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ricky DeLuco k4jtt at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 20:17:42 EDT 2013

PRESS RELEASE -
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 20, 2013

Those intrepid amateur (HAM) radio operators in the Marietta, Georgia area
lead by Ricky DeLuco, K4JTT are at it again with the fourth annual activation
of an IOTA/Lighthouse (Islands On the Air) that rarely sees much ham radio activity. This year
the team of eleven hams will take their equipment, food, and all
supplies to operate from the remote and little known about Sapelo Island, Georgia on September 10-14, 2013.  Traveling up to six hours to the small Georgia town called Darien. There, they will load all needed equipment and provisions for five days onto a boat to be transported to the Island.

The operating team traveling on this event will be Ricky DeLuco, K4JTT, Tim Lemmon, WK4U, Joe Grimes, WD4FGB, James Rodgers, ND4U, Jim Studer, AK4I, Ron Gill, NV4U,  Richard Lutz, KD4SEV, Walter Mize, KI4LAV, David Probst - N4VDL, Tad Williamson, WF4W and Monty Allen, K4MTX.

This is the 4th activation of an IOTA/Lighthouse by the team from Atlanta.  The three previous expeditions were Sapelo Island (GA) in 2010,  St. George Island (FL) in 2011 and Dauphin Island (AL) in 2012. According to Ricky K4JTT, “Our purpose in going is to activate a
little known about IOTA/Lighthouse for other hams to contact it, have fun, give other hams a
chance to get credit for a new Islands on the Air (IOTA) credit, have
fun, test out our skills in setting up portable stations, have fun,
and challenge our operating skills. Oh, did I mention it is to have
fun?”

Over the last few years, the expedition team has made radio contacts with over 7,600 Ham Radio Operators from seventy-nine countries and all fifty states. They have worked amateur radio stations from all six continents, six hundred call sign prefixes and twenty-five CQ zones.

Our sponsors include Radiowavz Antennas, GigaParts.com and the Kennehoochee
Amateur Radio Club, Marietta, Georgia.

A special call, K4S, has been assigned
by the FCC for this activation.  The designators for this
lighthouse are ARLHS USA738, USA1014 and IOTA NA-058.  Updated
information can be found on QRZ.com and www.w4bti.org, or by contacting Ricky DeLuco, K4JTT at K4JTT at yahoo.com or call 770-833-2290.