[SECC] Reminder CW Open Tonight and Tomorrow

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Fri Aug 30 16:02:08 EDT 2013

I'll try this again and this time, I'll give the message a subject and
remember the "paste" part of cut and paste.

Join in the fun!  I don't think that spotting assistance will be a big
help to the run stations, but the S&P stations may want to know that it
is OK to use such assistance, but to mark your logs accordingly.  I
expect I may look at the spots only if the rate gets really slow.  Do
not self-spot, of course.

Good luck and much fun to all.

73, John, K4BAI.

Several have written to ask if assistance is allowed in The CW Open. The
answer is:  Yes.

"While packet and similar 'help' such as skimmer and/or reverse beacon
networks is allowed, please indicate use of such 'help' on a voluntary
basis in the log.  Entering as "SO Assisted", or any multi-operator
category will be taken to mean: single operator with assistance. Results
may indicate this status."

More than a dozen full or nearly full teams have already registered for
The CW Open (10 ops per full team) and the team list is international in
scope.

There is still time to register your team.  Please visit:

http://www.cwops.org/cwopen.html

The first session begins in a few hours (0000Z, 31 August).  See below
for details.  Thanks!

73, Dean, NW2K
Contest Manager

You Are Invited to The 2013 CW Open!        August 31, 2013

A competitive international event with winning rates near 100
QSO's/hour....every hour!
Unique multipliers enhance strategy and scoring for all operators in all
regions of the world.
The CW Open consists of three separate 4-hour fast-paced CW contests.

*       August 31: 0000-0359Z; 1200-1559Z; 2000-2359Z
*       Participate in 1, 2 or all 3 sessions
*       160, 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters

Each session is scored separately; several chances to win

*       Awards for each session
*       Awards for combined session scores

Comprehensive logging software support (see
http://www.cwops.org/cwopen.html)

*       Exchange is sequential Serial Number and Given Name (e.g. 4
Alex), starting at 001 for each session
*       One (1) point per QSO, work stations once per band, per session
*       For each session, each different call sign is a multiplier the
first time it is worked on any band
*       Each session is logged separately and begins with 0 points and 0
multipliers

Awards (Thank You ICOM America for the Beautiful Awards!)

*       Trophy for winner of each session
*       Plaques for HP, LP and QRP winners of each session
*       Trophy for winner of combined session scores
*       Plaques for HP, LP and QRP winners of combined session scores

Categories

*       HP = Legal power above 100 watts
*       LP = 100 watts or less
*       QRP = 5 watts or less
*       Single Operators Only
*       Team Competition:  No geographical limitations
(http://www.cwops.org/cwopen.html)
*       Packet, Skimmer, and Reverse Beacon Network systems are allowed!

Note that the session times are slightly different than last year.  Any
questions or help finding a team, please email cwo at cwops.org

Thanks and see you on August 31!