[SECC] Announcement: First QRP Fox Hunt of Summer Season Thursday Night

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Tue Jul 9 13:44:21 EDT 2013

Greetings!

K4FB and I have the honor of inaugurating the first of ten 20 meter fox
hunts as your foxes this coming Thursday evening, July 11th  from 8:00 -
9:30 pm CDT (1:00 - 2:30 UTC, Friday July 12th). We'll be holed up
somewhere between 14.050 to 14.070.

I'll be running 5W from my K3, alternating between a 176' doublet up 65'
and a Force 12 C-4SXL beam up 70 feet which will be initially aimed
toward the left coast. I'll be working split, listening up 1 KHz, plus
or minus. If and when the pack thins, I'll probably go simplex, in which
case I'll NOT call 'up'.

This fox may be hard to catch, even though he is confined to a few acres
in rural central Wisconsin. You hounds will have to contend with the
others in the pack as well as numerous distractions native to this area
which may draw you off course: wild turkeys, deer, raccoons, rabbits,
coyotes, and even an occasional bear. The terrain is hilly, the prairie
grasses tall, and the woods thick and foreboding. Ticks, black flies and
mosquitoes are everywhere. It's a jungle out there, as Monk would say....

If propagation is good between you and me, consider going QRPp. I don't
mind taking second calls as long as they don't interfere with those who
haven't gotten their pelt yet. So -if you wish- make your >1W contact
early on and then come back later with <1W .  Almost anything is
possible on 20M: last year K4BAI heard my 500 microwatt signal in the
hunt! BTW, if we do hook up twice, the final log will only include the
second contact.

20M this past field day was both 'short' and 'long' in the evening from
this location. If we luck out, there may little or no skip zone, so get
into the fray even if you are close to me.

Tah tah, the hunt is on!  Good luck to all.

72
Todd
N9NE
Amherst, WI

Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:

     New Members 1

Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups
Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send
us Feedback
.