[SECC] ARRL FD AA4LR 1E LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Wed Jun 26 23:35:38 EDT 2013

 903:
 1.2:
 2.3:
 3.4:
 5.7:
 10G:
 24G:
----------------------------
Total:  360     3       0  Total Score = 1,446

Antennas:
160m/80m trap inverted L (80m-6m)
80m/40m trap dipole at 10m (80m, 40m)

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 running 80 watts
Power from 12v lead-acid deep cycle battery

Comments:

Another fun field day effort from the micro-shack in Floyd county. I pulled the 12 volt battery out of my travel trailer and used to power the K3/100. I had done something like this last year with the K2/100 - but the battery didn't last more than about 5 hours. Of course, the power/swr circuitry in the K2/100 was acting up, so it may have been problem.

With the K3/100, the battery easily lasted over 9 hours of operation, and could have gone on for several more. I measured the voltage at the start at 12.6 volts, and at the end it was down to 12.2 volts.

Conditions weren't all that great. Heard only a few signals on 10m at the start. I had trouble busting the pileups on 15m phone, so I headed to CW and didn't look back. 20m was short in the afternoon, but 15m wasn't quite wide open. Only S & P on 15m, but was lucky to run some on 20m.

The 160m/80m inverted L worked well on 6, 10, 15 and 20m. 40m was the big money band, though -- and the 80/40m dipole seemed to function best there.

Field Day is a pure rate contest -- so a station with few transmitters should always be on the band(s) with the best rate. 20m was pretty effective and 40m was great. I managed good runs on both these bands. 80m was disappointing, though, as there wasn't enough activity to sustain any runs.

I couldn't resist checking out 6m when switching bands. I was able to work a couple of local Georgia stations there, but didn't hear anyone else. It might help if I had a real antenna for that band.

In short, lots of fun. This score is my second-best Field Day effort, with the first being the 1E operation that my brother Ben NJ8J and I did at my QTH in Stone Mountain in 2013 with 1004 phone contacts for 2008 points. Perhaps next year, I'll try to work over 500 CW Qs and break that record.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
           -- Wilbur Wright, 1901