[SECC] W4OC CW SS 2013

w4oc at aol.com w4oc at aol.com
Wed Nov 6 20:57:58 EST 2013

2013 ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4OC
Operator(s): W4OC
Station: W4OC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 11:41
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    1
   80:   64
   40:  352
   20:  174
   15:   59
   10:   56
------------

I had originally planned to put in a full time or nearly full time
effort in this one.

I constructed a W6NL design based 40 meter moxon with the help
of John W4IX in the weeks prior to the contest. This was a big
project, and would have never reached operational status without
John's great assistance. This antenna is built completely from parts
from old HyGain and Cushcraft antennas with the exception of some
aluminum plates and hardware. It is at 65 feet and a C31XR at 54 feet
above ground. The moxon replaced a linear loaded 2 element that had
been in the air for many years.

The antenna was in the air over a week prior to the contest - and
working
fine. The a couple of days before the contest, one of my Mark V's
developed
a receive sensitivity issue. Turned out to be a combination of PIN
diodes,
RX switching transistors, and power supply (-9v) capacitors.

Rig was repaired, but the operator was tired.

Was fun regardless, and thanks to all for the Q's and mults.

Don W4OC