[SECC] WPX SSB NQ4I M/M HP

Kt4zb at aol.com Kt4zb at aol.com
Tue Apr 1 09:07:34 EDT 2014

Congrats to Rick and all on the NQ4I team...WOW, what a great effort.

Best - Jere

In a message dated 3/31/2014 4:21:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
aa4lr at arrl.net writes:

Heh. 20m  wasn’t the only station suffering from the “wind blowing the top
beam around”  syndrome. We suffered with that on 10m, especially on Sunday.

You know  10m is wide open when you answer calls from Japan, Europe, South
and North  American all within a couple of minutes. Happened to me both
afternoons!

Thanks for letting me keep the 10m run chair warm, Rick. It  was a blast.

On Mar 31, 2014, at 1:43 PM, Rick Dougherty NQ4I  <nq4i at contesting.com>
wrote:

> [...]
K5KG
> Station:  NQ4I
>
> Class: M/M HP
> QTH: Griffin, Ga
> Operating  Time (hrs): 48.0

>  ------------
>  160:  135
>   80:   656
>   40: 1361
>   20:  2045
>   15: 1903
>   10: 1864
>  ------------
> Total: 7984  Prefixes = 1715  Total Score =  33,608,558
>
> Club: South East Contest Club
>
>  Comments:
>
> First and foremost, what great conditions to hold a  contest! My team has
never
> heard the bands so hot from top to bottom.  Endless activity has made the
CQWPX
> SSB contest one of the best  contests ever! I want to thank my
competitors for
> making it the most  exciting and challenging events on the ham bands in a
long
> time. K9CT  and WX3B are with out a doubt some of the finest competitors
on the
>  bands for the WPX test. And I want to thank them for posting their
scores  for
> all to see on cqcontest.ru. Having the online score board  available made
this a
> real horse race for all to see and  enjoy.
>
> We paused just before the contest to memorialize  former team member
W4SVO, who
> has made significant contributions to  our low band success at NQ4I. Mark
> recently became a silent key and is  missed by all NQ4I team members. We
> dedicated this contest operation  and score to his memory. And I am sure
that in
> our daily contesting  operation, he was there urging us onward and upward.
>
> I also  want to thank the team members at Team NQ4I who gave up their
time to
>  come and be a part of the operation. Driving and flying from all over
the  South
> East US to be here. We had contest newbie Larry WB5EIN who drove  from
Tupelo,
> Mississippi to join us. He fit right in. His  contributions were greatly
> appreciated.
>
> In my 53  years of Ham radio, I don't think I have ever seen the high
bands and
>  low bands so filled with contestor's. To quote a true sage of Ham Radio,
 Gene
> Walsh N2AA "There ain't no meters like Ten Meters". And it held  true
> to form. Band opening lasted well into the nights and activity  was
apparent all
> the way up to 29.900 Mhz!
>
> One of our  prime RUN op's had to cancel Friday afternoon before the test
> started,  and it made some big changes in our lineup. Op's were told to be
>  flexible and they would be assigned and moved when needed. The NQ4I  team
> responded in great form. Seats were filled, qso's were made,  meals were
> consumed, stories were told, and memories were made in the  48 hours of
the
> test.
>
> Records: 1. New US M-M high  claimed score 33,608,558 points! We are
hoping that
> after log checking  it will remain as a new US record for SSB.
> 2. New US WPX Prefix  record! We had 1717 prefixes. We surpassed the
current
> record at 7 am  on Sunday morning and kept the bells ringing in the shack
as new
> ones  were worked all the rest of the day.
> 3. New Station record for most  number of SSB qsos.
>
> Band by Band comments:
>
>  160-Don K4PK labored and toiled to make 135 qso's. The band was quiet,
but  the
> action was on the high bands and the low bands suffered  some.
>
> 80-Bill AA4LR really turned in a great performance,  even with the action
being
> on the higher bands.
>
>  40-This is the band that had suffered the greatest damage during the
last  ice
> storm. The reflector of the top 3 over 3 stack for the RUN station  is
still
> broken and needs repair so Jim VE7ZO only had a 2 and 1/2  element yagi
for the
> top antenna. Didn't seem to make that much  difference. The 40m MULT
antenna was
> severely damaged and under a  complete rebuild. Because of the windy and
rainy
> weather leading up to  the contest, I was only able to get the antenna
above the
> bottom set  of guy wires and it was fixed on EU at 55 feet and
non-rotatable.
> N4XL  still managed to make a significant number of Mult qsos with it.
Dennis

Bill Coleman, AA4LR,  PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at mac.com
Quote: "Boot, you  transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
--  Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL   Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web:  http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
Quote: "Not within a thousand years  will man ever fly!"
-- Wilbur  Wright, 1901

SECC  mailing  list
SECC at contesting.com