[SECC] ARRL 10 AA4LR SO Mixed HP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sun Jan 19 16:03:51 EST 2014

ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

CW:  100    52
SSB:   20    13
-------------------
Total:  120    65  Total Score = 28,600

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 15m

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100
Ameritron AL-80A running 500 watts

Comments:

After my full-time effort in the ARRL 160m, I wasn't expecting to operate this contest at all. However, I happened to be at the Gwinnett county QTH Friday night, so I put in a few hours.

Setting up the K2/100, I realized I had made a big mistake. The special cable that fits on the RS-232 port and allows CW keying was not in Gwinnett, but back in Floyd county. Which is ironic, since I don't need it there. Dang. At first, I broke out the K1EL K12 keyer, I just had to look up how to reprogram the memories. About five minutes later, I realized that I had a memory keyer built into the K2. It was good enough to call CQ, send my call and give my report.

At the start of the contest, the band was virtually dead, with just a few signals. Much of that was either South America, or backscatter signals. Had to do some yard work in the morning, but as soon as the rain chased me inside, I found the band wide open to Europe. Sorry I couldn't spend more time to enjoy
the great conditions. Maybe next year.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
         -- Wilbur Wright, 1901