[SECC] [Contest] win 10

Scott scottn4jn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 16:19:55 EST 2015

I've just gotten a used laptop with Win7 on it.  I have no desire to
go to Win10.  The UI of 7 is really to my liking.  I use it
extensively at work and it does what I need.  As they say, "If it
ain't broke, don't fix it".  Does this make me a curmudgeon?
Probably.  It was going to happen sooner or later.  I'm just going to
beat the rush and embrace my curmudgeon-ness now.  You kids get off my
lawn. ;)

Anyway, I've been getting the "upgrade to Win10" nag screen a lot
lately on my "new" Ebay Dell and it's become annoying.  A computer
security podcast I listen to ("Security Now" on Leo Laporte's TWiT
network) mentioned a fix for this problem in this week's episode - the
"GWX Control Panel".  Info is here:
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html
This little freeware app is very eye-opening.  It will definitely stop
the nags (for now at least - MS is evolving their nag tactics) but it
will also show you if MS has been downloading the Win10 install files
onto your machine in the background.  I was shocked to find that 5.7
GB of Win10 installers already existed on my machine, ostensibly to
make the 7-->10 migration go quickly.  No bueno.  This nifty little
utility will also allow you to delete these files and reclaim that
hard drive space - which I did promptly.

Win10 may be a fine OS and I'm sure it will work well for a lot of
people.  If you use it and like it, great.  I'm just not going to be
an early adopter on this one.

Good luck on 10 this weekend if you get to play.

73,
Scott
N4JN