[SECC] me stupido!

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Dec 14 15:23:19 EST 2015

> On Dec 13, 2015, at 11:33 AM, Courtney Judd <k4wi at k4wi.net> wrote:
>
> man, i think that my higher brain functions have gone downhill big time! I should have been able to sort this problem out in short order! Didn't see the light until this morning! I had everything set up for the ten test this weekend and started out Friday but couldn't hear anything.... zero! OK, I thought solar storm or something! Saturday heard a few weak signals , I could work those all ok... S-meter never came off zero, SWR checked normal, rig set up right... checked other bands and they are all covered with big signals... so what's the problem with 10? I finally noticed a little RX light lit up on the antenna selection button on the 2000D . Here I had been listening on the external antenna port which had nothing attached to it... no wonder i could not hear anything..... all back to normal except I feel incredibly stupid! lol Cort

Don’t feel bad — this is a quote from my 1998 ARRL 10m Contest submission:

"Stupid stunt of the contest: While I worked a number of stations,
including a couple of europeans, an african, the carribean, south
america, and even new zealand, signals seemed really "down" most of the
contest. Even the strongest stations seemed barely out of the noise.
After about 70+ QSOs, I realised I had operated 5+ hours with the 20 db
antenna attenuator turned on! Doh! Turned if off, and signal levels
really popped up. Rate climbed appreciably."

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901