[SECC] K4BAI Claimed Score NCCC NS CW 3/6/15

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Thu Mar 5 22:58:06 EST 2015

                     NCCC Sprint - Mar 6

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

   160:   4      3
    80:  17     12
    40:  19     14
    20:  16      9
    15:
    10:
-------------------
Total:  56     38  Total Score = 2,128

FT1000MP, 100W, TH6DXX, zepp, tee vertical.  All four bands very good tonight
for a change.  Great to work Matt NQ6N in HI on 20.  Also nice to have KY4F and
K9AA back after a while and AA4CF and N4KH almost locals and relative newcomers.
  Please continue to join us for Thursday night contest practice and fun.  Can't
believe I had one of my best scores in years with all the screw ups.  Hadn't
used this MP in some time and was surprised by some RF feedback on 20 at the
start with the rig going key down when I used the F keys on the computer.
Decided to use the paddle on 20 and check the computer keying again on 40.
Went to 40 and second QSO was W9RE who said my keying was screwy, so I pulled
the key line from the keyer to the rig out and used the paddle for the whole
contest.  Didn't realize what the problem really was until I started to change
to the 80M antenna and found that I had been on the 80M antenna for the whole
time on 40M. I hadn't been watching the SWR meter and it was reading infinite
on 40M.  No wonder the keying sounded bad.  And yet, with infinite SWR and no
doubt very low ERP, 40M was my best band!  The antenna on 40M was an 88' center
fed zepp with the antenna tuner tuned for 80M, not 40M.  That same antenna
worked very well as intended on 80M and I was able to work N6RO, N6ZFO, and
WJ9B on 80M, which doesn't occur every week.  Where were our New England
stations this week?  No QSOs at all in the W1 call area.  Hope everyone has fun
in ARRL DX SSB this weekend.  73, John, K4BAI.

Posted using 3830 Score Submittal Forms at:http://www.3830scores.com/