[SECC] CQWW WPX SSB

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 19:57:01 EDT 2015

I pretty much ran unassisted for all those years because I didn't have
internet out here in the boonies and didn't have a choice. Now I figure it
gives me the best chance for wall paper.

All, Jere and I have had similar stations, we aren't far apart, and we've
had some great close finishes over the years. His station has generally
been a bit better, but I had that rarer SC mult.

Here's the situation for this upcoming weekend. I used to have an NS4 call
and now I don't, but he's got a KT4 call giving him the edge. He's
just added a few more dB by stealing my secret weapon - a 520 ft loop.
Well, his is 480 ft, but what's 40 ft among rivals?. He has more assisted
experience from his home station than I have had from mine. His 70 ft tower
is 20 ft taller than mine. My rarer SC mult doesn't count in the WPX.
Sounds to me like he is trying to take advantage of this poor ole' country
boy who's just trying to get along.

But I've had some studying time operating near some great contest masters.
People like "'The Judge", K4BAI and "Drubber, The Contest Monster", W4IX,
and the near mythical Jim, VE7ZO. They would sometimes  actually deign to
let me watch over their shoulder now and then. Only rarely would they give
up the mike or key to this lowly young'un, but something just had to have
worn off and stuck to this ignorant wanna be contester.

So with that in mind -- Sharpen up your keyboard Jere because I accept your
challenge! Assisted it is!

As a disclaimer... don't blame any of the above mentioned contest masters
should their tutelage have gone astray and I somehow <gasp> lose.
It wouldn't be their fault. I accept full responsibility for my own score.
I live and die by my very own "Roger Roger Roger" finding its way through
an S9 noise level using my measly 100 watts and wouldn't dream of blaming
them. (Except maybe I could blame Jere for taking unfair advantage. Yeah,
that sounds better than accepting the blame all by myself.)

Anyone else care to yell into their K3 keyer loud enough to join us like
Dennis is threatening to do?

Kevan
N4XL