[SECC] CQWW WPX SSB

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:08:59 EDT 2015

Good hunting and luck to all. Jere, wish you well and hope to work you
too.  Bands seemed open last night so maybe good conditions after all. I'm
real curious to see how your loop plays for you.

Took the day off to add some radials to the raised vertical and get some
rest before the start. Grabbed my MFJ-269 and it is dead. Funny, it was
just sitting on the shelf in the shack. Factory Tech says I am SOL. Oh
well. I'll add some random lengths and hope for the best. It is only 8 ft
off the ground is for 40/80. I'm not smart enough to find an easy way
to tune them without a lot of work (the antenna is 200 ft from the rig and
I'm alone here) now that the MFJ died. Read somewhere that someone was
saying (I think Tom, W8JI) that random lengths will still help if antenna
is that low relative to wavelength because the ground still affects them.
It isn't like a real elevated radial system when it is that low.

No talk here on SECC about a team. I'm also a member of the Swamp Fox
Contest Group now. They were getting one up and needed another member so I
will be posting for them this time round. Will be using their club call of
WW4SF. I figure with WW4LL having fun in PJ4 land that may help remove one
of Jere's advantages over me!

Kevan
N4XL