[SECC] SS-CW

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Fri Nov 6 21:45:09 EST 2015

On 11/5/2015 3:20 PM, halken wrote:
> I thought I would echo some of K4BAI's suggestions - and I recall Bill
> Fisher (sk) mentioning some of these as well....
>
> 1 - Stay in the chair for the first six hours - at least.  Don't think
> about getting up.
> 2 - Take off times in half-hour increments...
> 3 - Prepare!
>     I am always amazed at the email on the logging software reflectors
> about how to set something up -- 1 hour before the start.  The station
> should already be 100% checked out - the start is only 48 hours away.
>     Update SCP and a history file if you use those...
>     I always have a slip of paper under my elbow of stations I have
> worked in rare sections in years past.  If you can't remember WD0T is
> in SD - well, it's on your slip of paper.
>     Study the propagation forecasts and activity by band by hour in
> past years.  (W4OC has national data.  Check your own past logs for
> local data)
> 4 - 15M is a good band to put a second radio on if you are SO2R. At
> the start it's mostly the West Coast coming in, and over many years I
> have found it impossible to run on 15 from the East Coast at the start
> - even when signals were strong.  I would not go near 15M at the start
> if I only had one radio.  You can work nearly all those W6s later in
> the day on some other band, and none of the west coast sections are
> "rare."
> 5 - There are no meters like 40 meters.  W9RE and I have had chats and
> agree that you can post a very good score (probably not top 10) by
> just staying on 40.  Park on 7032 and call CQ for 24 hours and you can
> be over 160K points.  A low dipole on 40 is a great SS antenna.  A lot
> of serious contesters put up low dipoles just for SS.   You will need
> to be LOUD to hold down 7032, hi, hi.
> 6 - Check 160 on the hour and half hour.  There are some 160-only
> non-contesters who seem happy to hand out Qs every year.  You can't
> get them anywhere else and every Q counts if you are trying for a big
> score.
> 7 - My impression is the last hour and particularly the last half hour
> are very poor.  Others may see it differently.  Working the west coast
> on the low bands is esy (and necessary) on the first night.  On the
> second "night" remember the contest ends around sunset on the west
> coast... With a good station you can work the west coast on 40 and 80
> at the end...but there won't be many of them left on the air...
> 8 - I have worked VY1 several times very early on Sunday morning,
> around 1100Z-1200Z, by calling CQ on the bottom end of 40.  VY1JA used
> to S&P 40M around that time every year and there is little competition.
>
> Please post to 3830 and contribute your score to SECC - even if it's
> 10 QSOs.
>
> Most of all...Have fun -
> 73,
> N4GG

Be sure you count your 30 minute off time properly.  Many older logging
programs do not.  If you last QSO was at 0030, do not make another
contact before 0101.  If you make your next contact at 0100, you will
have taken off only 29 minutes and all of it will count as operating
time.  73, John, K4BAI.