[SECC] Fwd: [3830] GaQP AA4LR Single OpCW LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Apr 11 12:33:04 EDT 2016

Georgia QSO Party

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single OpCW LP
QTH: WALTON
Operating Time (hrs): 4

 160:
  80:     49
  40:    153
  20:     35
  15:
  10:
   6:
------------------------
Total:    237       0  CW-Dig Mults = 42  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 19,656

Antenna:
80/40m trap dipole at 10m high (80, 40, 20)

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/KAT100 running 100 watts

Comments:

Got on both Saturday and Sunday from the Walton county parsonage. Not much in
the antenna department, and the local noise level is kinda of high, but that
didn't prevent me from having some fun.

It's been a while since I operated a contest with the K2! The old rig did a
great job. I had a little bit of trouble getting the computer to talk to the
serial port, but once it started working it worked all weekend.

Fired up the rig at 0015z Saturday. After a couple of CQs, I had a roaring pileup with multiple callers that did not abate for 30 minutes! It only got worse when I was spotted after five minutes.

Finished the initial 2.3 hour session with 175 QSOs. Rates weren't the same Sunday, but still had some fun. I think I may have worked 30 states on 40m alone, plus some DX. DL3DXX seemed to show up wherever I was CQing, and I worked him on 80, 40 and 20m.

Managed to work my bother, NJ8J on 80m Saturday. At first I didn't recognize his call. He was sending with a straight key and apparently his arm had gotten tired.

Conditions weren't great. I tried a few CQs on 15m, but no takers. Still, a lot of radio to be done on 20m and below.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901