[SECC] Jamboree on the Air (JOTA)

Elden Morris n1mn at att.net
Fri Aug 12 21:59:04 EDT 2016

Hello friends,
I am contacting clubs in the Atlanta Area about Jamboree on the Air or JOTA.
As in years past, it is held on the third weekend of October, this year starting on Friday,October 14 and ending on Sunday, October 16.
There is a new requirement for the Cub Scout Rank of Webelos to earn their Arrow of Light Award before moving up to Boy Scouts. In this particular case, it is under the heading of Building a Better World, Requirement 10d:
“Under the supervision of your parent, guardian, or den leader, connect with a Scout in another country during an event such as Jamboree on the Air or Jamboree on the Internet or by other means.”
This means that a Webelo can talk via Amateur Radio to a Scout in another country. As we know, often there is not much of a selection of who we can talk to but it would be a plus for these boys to be exposed to Amateur Radio.
The BSA does have a nice patch that can be ordered from the Boy Scout Uniform Sales shop at the local BSA Council Office or on line from www.scoutstuff.org. If you go to the Uniform Shop at the Atlanta Area Council, 1800 Circe 75 Parkway SE, Atlanta, GA 30339, there will be no shipping charges. Don't wait too long to place the order because they will not stock large quantities and it may take several weeks to fill the order. The patches retail for $3.99. If you wish to purchase the JOTA Patch, it is Item 634941.
An alternative would be to come up with a certificate issued by your club or individuals that can be given to participants.
With the QSL certificate, the Scout has proof of their contact.
One thing I want every amateur to be aware of is the BSA policy of Two Deep Leadership. The boys are not to be with only one adult, two are required. This is also good sense as it protects you as well as the Scouts.
There is a JOTA page on the K2BSA website as well as the International JOTA web page. When I last looked, they were not running, yet.
If your club or operators are planning to run a JOTA event, I would appreciate it if you would let me know with a Point of Contact Name and Call, the Name and Call of the group or club, Location of the event and the hours you will be participating. In this way, I will do what I can to get the information onto the website for the Atlanta Area Council, BSA.
There is one station that will be operating from the Atlanta Area Council for JOTA and I will be operating from Woodruff Scout Reservation in Blairsville for a Webelos Camping event called Webelos Woods for the Silver Comet District.
A photo of the JOTA Patch is attached.
Thanks and 73.
Yours in Scouting,
ELDEN MORRIS, N1MNAssistant District CommissionerSilver Comet District, Atlanta Area Council, BSA770-713-4403N1MN at ATT.NET