[SECC] Some Ideas About Operating CQ WPX

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Wed May 25 12:07:40 EDT 2016

Hope everyone will be in CQ WPX this weekend as much as possible.  For
the club aggregate score competition, be sure that your Cabrillo header
shows for your club:  "South East Contest Club."

Note that maximum operating time for single ops is 36 hours.  Most of us
will not be able to put in that much time, but if you are getting close
note that off-times must be at least one hour.  If your last QSO is at
0000Z, for example, do not make your next QSO before 0101Z or it won't
count as an off period.

The CQ Magazine's major contest circle is what determines eligibility
for SECC club members credit, so that means that K2SX and others who are
outside the ARRL smaller circle are inside our circle. See the website
for the circle if in doubt.  The circle limit for US clubs is 250 mile
radius from the center of the club area.

This is a contest that will improve your CW copying skills more so that
some of the other major CW contests, as you must receive and send
accurately your serial number.  Begin with one.  Except for leading
zeros, it is a bad idea to use cut numbers in the serial #s.  Most
everyone will send "5NN" for the report part of the exchange.  If
someone sends you something else, such as 579, record what you actually
receive.

For the most part, CQ WPX is a rate contest.  You don't need to work
marginal bands as the multipliers count only once in the contest, not
per band.  You may work each station on each band for QSO points.  Note
that except for same country QSOs, which count only one point no matter
what band they are made on, QSOs on 160, 80, and 40M count twice as many
points per QSO.  So, this means that you should be on the lower bands,
particularly 40M, during the hours that you can work other countries on
that band unless you can double your QSO rate on 20 or a higher band.

Surprisingly, for the end of May, 80M has been pretty good the past few
weeks.  I will probably even take a listen on 160M, but, unless you
encounter a new multiplier there or unless your rate on 80 or higher is
practically zero, you will be losing time on that band. But, some
stations will enter single op 160M and a quick pass across the band a
couple of times during the night might be worthwhile.

10M has been almost dead lately, but this time of year often brings Es
propagation, so, if you are working mostly same country QSOs, it may pay
to check 10M from time to time.  I usually check every 15 to 30 minutes
after sunrise.  15 and 20M have been pretty poor lately, but those are
your bands of choice during daylight.

Because of the multiplier structure, you will want to CQ and run as much
as possible.  The multipliers will call you.

In almost every contest, your CQ replies will drop, particularly on the
second day, and you will want to do some S&P.  If you don't do both run
and S&P, you will not work some stations who are doing only one or the
other and not both.  If you are doing S&P and a station who is not a new
prefix multiplier doesn't answer you on the first call (and if you don't
need his QSO for an award of some kind), it's best to move on to the
next station and not wait in line for a station who will give you only
QSO points.  But, if the CQing station would be a new prefix multiplier,
I'd call a few times before moving on.  If it is a new multiplier, it
would be a good idea to put his frequency in a memory channel and come
back for the multiplier later.

Most of what I have said applies to unassisted stations.  If you will be
assisted, you will point and shoot on any band you have an antenna for.
  If you are running, remember that it isn't necessary to crowd the
lower edge of the band any more, since the RBN stations will report you
most anywhere on the CW band.  (Some have broader coverage than others.)
  If you call CQ TEST anywhere in the CW parts of the bands, you should
be reported in RBN and on the spotting networks.  Most activity will
take part in the bottom 100 kHz of the bands, but if conditions are
good, you will find some stations above 21100, 28100, and even 14100.
For CQing, you may find that the frequencies often used by RTTY and
other digital stations might best be avoided.  You will find a lot of
digital stations between 7037 and 7045 kHz and 14070 and above on 20M.
Fortunately, there are no major RTTY contests this weekend.

If your rate of answers falls, you might consider slowing your speed a
bit or even raising your speed a little if you are already sending
slower than the average.

If you are new to CW or are rusty on CW, one good S&P technique is to
copy the number of the station you are listening to.  You will know what
his next number is likely to be and that will help you in copying his
number sent to you.  Ask for a repeat of the number if you are not sure
of what was sent to you.  SO2R stations and perhaps some multi op
stations may not always send consecutive numbers.  Log what you hear is
always a good practice.  When I am doing S&P, I put the serial number I
hear the CQing station give in my exchange box plus one, so I have
anticipated what number he may send to me.  I change that number up one
if he answers someone else and I intend to stay and call him again.

If your goal is to contribute as many points as possible to a club
score, you want to run the highest power that you can legally run.  If,
instead, you want to compete as a low power station or a QRP station,
you would reduce your power to the maximum permitted for your chosen
category.  Always try to use an accurate watt meter.  The limit for LP
is 100W and the limit for QRP is 5W.

Single ops use serial numbers starting with 001.  M/2 and M/M stations
use a separate number sequence on each band.

There are special over-lay categories in this contest and you would want
to include the appropriate overlay category in your Cabrillo header.  An
operator licensed 3 years or less on the contest date who has not
previously won a plaque in a CQ contest is eligible for the "Rookie"
overlay category.  Most of us qualify for the TB-WIRES (tribander-wires)
overlay category.  You must have a single feedline tribander or lesser
antenna on 20, 15, and 10 and siingle-element antennas on the low bands.

If you use any spotting assistance, you must enter in the "Assisted"
category.  No problem with that.  Just enter the category that
represents how you operated during the contest.  If you monitored DX
summit or any spotting site or chatroom or accepted operating assistance
from others, enter as "assisted."  Even in the "assisted" categories,
you may not spot yourself.  And do not ask others to spot you as that is
also specifically prohibited in the rules.

You may operate a remote station.  Your location is the location of the
remote station, not your personal location.  You may not use a remote
receive only site.

Please submit your Cabrillo format promptly to cw at cqwpx.com.  The
deadline is 2359Z June 3 (8 PM EDT Friday after the contest).  It would
be helpful to me if you also posted your claimed score to 3830.  Do a
computer search for "3830scores.com" and you will find a webpage.  At
the left top, you will find a list of current contests. Click on CQ WPX
CW and a form will appear which you should carefully complete and then
click "submit."  If you find an error after submission, you may submit a
corrected summary in the same fashion.  This is NOT a substitute for
sending a log to the sponsors.  It does make your claimed score
available for viewing on 3830score.com.  You can click on the contest in
the list that goes across the top of the page and your score should
appear immediately.  If it doesn't, it is probably because you clicked
on one of those contests before clicking on the contest submission page.
  In that case, simply refresh or exit and go to the page a second time.
  You can do a search for "3830 archives" and see the scores submitted
in a chronological order and do other searches of the data base.  The
scores on 3830 archive may appear a little later than they will on
3830scores.com.

If there are other questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Hope everyone has a lot of fun this weekend and a lot of QSOs.  I plan
to be QRV from home and KU8E will also.  N4XL will be QRV from his QTH
in SC.  Paul, N4PN, will be at his house, but he will be signing NM1G.
I am sure a lot more of our group will be active who have not
specifically said so to me.

73, John, K4BAI.