[SECC] Slower is sometimes faster

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 12:37:57 EST 2016

It is always good to add tools to the box so I try to learn and share
something from each contest. Those light bulb moments are often already
known by others, but were were new to me or proved out the good advice I
received from someone else. This time came while in my normal mode of S&P
low power as a Little Pistol.

It is sometimes quicker to work a station when two of you are calling at
the same time if instead of fighting to be the first answered you stand by
and let the other guy go first. The Q points came easier and quicker after
the QRM left. Didn't waste three or four useless transmissions of my call
while the other guy was doing the same thing. Used that tactic a few times
in CQWW CW last weekend when I sensed the running station was either tired
or didn't have much experience with pile ups. Doesn't work with big pile
ups from rarer mults, but the rate meter felt happier (overall) when I
started doing that with stations from places with a lot of hams and a
therefore lower demand to work them. Stations in countries like DL, I, PY,
VE, and K that had okay but not loud signals. There wasn't normally a third
lurker out there waiting to slow me down when I called the second time.

Kevan
N4XL