[SECC] ARRL VHF September "Bust"

William Roberson arebias at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 12:52:07 EDT 2016

First I will say thank you for all the warm welcomes to the SECC which I
have received. I am not much of a "club" person but since I was going to
operate in the occasional contest anyway, I felt it was a waste to not
be accumulating those points for some contesting club. Hopefully I can
help the clubs bottom line.

I was in the CQ 160-Meter Contest SSB February as well but failed to
post my score to 3830 -

K4WDR     SINGLE-OP     39592     HIGH     NON-ASSISTED

Now on to the great disappointment:

Had I kept my Kenwood TS-2000 and not been limited to 6m only on VHF
with the current rig ( TS-480SAT )  a feel confident that I could have
snagged a few contacts on 2m SSB or CW, but that wasn't in the cards.
Got started very late, did not have much time in contest, and from what
I am seeing, the band was dead. As my comments section on 3830 reflect
below  I would have never of known a live band from a dead one since
this was the first time I had ever contacted anyone on the "magic band".
Pfff...

Call: K4WDR
Operator(s): K4WDR
Station: K4WDR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 2
Band    QSOs    Mults
6:            5        4
2:
222:
432:
903:
1.2:
2.3:
3.4:
5.7:
10G:
24G:
Total:    5    4    Total Score    20

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:        2016-09-11 19:59:22
First contacts that I have ever made on 6m in my 25 +/- years as a ham
so that
was a plus - The negative, even though I only spent a few hours trying on 6m
only, I realize how difficult it is to work 6m stations w/out the proper
equipment. The Hex Beam up at 30' or so did well considering the lack of
propagation.