[SECC] K4BAI Fox Announcement

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Wed Jul 5 20:06:03 EDT 2017

I will be one of two QRP Foxes in the 20M QRP Fox Hunt Thursday night
local date in the US, Friday, July 7, 2017 from 0100Z to 0230Z.  The
other Fox will be Jim, N0UR, in MN.  We will each be somewhere between
14050 and 14070 kHz running 5W to good antennas and hoping to work a lot
of hounds running 5W or less.  Work only the two foxes and do not spot
the fox frequencies.  The exchange is RST, SPC, Name, and Power.

I will start off split, probably listening up one to 1 1/2 kHz and will
be sending "UP" after my call.  When the pileup dwindles, I will stop
sending "UP" and will be listening on my own transmit frequency.

I will be using a Yaesu FT1000MP, running 5W output as measured by a
WM-2 QRP wattmeter.  The main antenna is a HY Gain TH6DXX triband yagi
up 55'.  As a secondary antenna, I will also have an 88' center fed zepp
up about 50'.  On 20M, the zepp seldom outperforms the yagi in any
direction, but I will be listening on it for anyone I might miss on the
yagi.  Generally, the skip gets longer as the evening progresses, so
east coast stations should try to be around at the start.  You can never
be sure that the skip won't shorten up later or that we won't get some E
skip closer in than we might expect, so some times it pays to stick with
it until the end.

You can find the QRP Fox Hunt home page by an internet search and you
will find all rules and the schedule for the Summer series, which is now
in its second week.

73/72, John, K4BAI.

2yahoogroups.com